Day Two - Jan's First Update!
Hi all! Chris has me all set up here in my hospital room for internet and email, just like he promised! I will do my best to keep you all updated through the blog with daily happenings and information.
Today has been a productive day for me. I am here at my command post...I've decided I can be pretty dangerous with a phone and a computer! HA!
I have been on the phone all day catching up with with calls for the construction on the house, talking to family and friends, unfortunately but necessarily cancelling photo shoots (which KILLS me), and just following up on a few things that were left untied two days ago when our life got turned upside down.
Chris and Cayden came for lunch today. Cayden walked in carrying a vase with some flowers in it. Made me cry of course. I miss Chris and Cayden a ton. It's hard, but I know that I must pursue, take a day at a time, and just get through this. We can do this. Especially with all of the help and support we are receiving from family and friends. Sometimes it's hard to accept the help because pride gets in the way a little bit, but we are realizing that if we were in your shoes and you were in ours we would want to help too and would expect you to let us, so that is what we are trying to do. :) Can't thank you enough.
One of our pastors, Pastor Chris, came to visit me today. She brought a goodie bag from the Care Ministry at church, so I have some reading material, a book for Cayden, and a book of games. We laughed, cried, and of course prayed. It was very nice to have her here for a visit.
So, my status. No new bleeding today. I received my second and last shot of steroids today for lung development. I got to actually get up and take a shower this morning which was an awesome luxury. I have met a nurse named Theresa who is awesome. She's my night nurse tonight and she and I have been visiting a ton. She looked through all of the pictures on the Photography site. She's pregnant with her third child. We laughed a lot and even cried a little bit. I think she just might be a new friend! She also lives close to Maple Grove which is great!! Kinda fun.
I visited with the Dr for quite a while today. Here is what I took from our conversation:
I am considered a high risk pregnancy both in terms of my pregnancy itself and also the delivery. For a number of reasons. The first is the placenta previa, the second is I have had a c-section already, and the third is the rupture that they discovered on the ultrasound where my placenta tore from the uterine wall a little bit and caused the bleeding. So let me expand.
The placenta previa will continue to be an issue and is the reason for why I'm here today because as the baby grows, as I gain more amniotic fluid on board, etc the more weight that will be on the placenta. High risk for more bleeding. She said I can pretty much bank on bed restfor the duration because they want the weight off of the placenta. The bottom line is they want the baby in there for atleast 35 weeks if possible. (I am only 24 right now...ouch)
In terms of delivery. She said I will most likely have my c-section at a different hospital (Abbott Northewestern) where the team of OB's who specialize in high risk pregnancies do deliveries (I think it's called the Peri-Natal unit). Abbott is connected to Children's Hospital, so if there are any problems for the baby, they're right there. My c-section will be complicated because of the previa. And an added complication is the scar tissue that's in there from my previous c-section with Cayden because sometimes the placenta will have grown in to the scar tissue. If that has happened it will cause too much bleeding to pull it off and they would have to do a histarectomy in that case (doesn't always happen, but she's making me aware of my circumstances).
So, kind of a crazy turn, and it poses lots of challenges and even some pitfalls, but like I said up above there's no doubt in my mind that we can't pursue through this. Our concern collectively right now is Cayden. We want what is going to be best for him. We want to try to providea little bit of consistancy in what has turned in to be a little bit of a crazy life for him right now (Mom's gone, his house in torn up, and Dad is frazzled trying to balance Cayden, the house stuff, work, and coming to see Mom in the hospital). We are plotting on what arrangements we will make for him. My favorite idea at the moment would be daycare (which is tough to fathom for a stay at home Mom). His cousin Dalton goes to a fabulous daycare that is right by Chris' office, and there he would get consistency, a routine of going each day, a nice facility, and he would probably learn some important things etc, so we are going to look in to seeing if that would even be possible on a short term basis and what it would cost. I'm sure it won't be cheap!!
So, that's what has happened in our life today. I think I'm going to try to get some sleep. Love to you all.
Jan
Today has been a productive day for me. I am here at my command post...I've decided I can be pretty dangerous with a phone and a computer! HA!
I have been on the phone all day catching up with with calls for the construction on the house, talking to family and friends, unfortunately but necessarily cancelling photo shoots (which KILLS me), and just following up on a few things that were left untied two days ago when our life got turned upside down.
Chris and Cayden came for lunch today. Cayden walked in carrying a vase with some flowers in it. Made me cry of course. I miss Chris and Cayden a ton. It's hard, but I know that I must pursue, take a day at a time, and just get through this. We can do this. Especially with all of the help and support we are receiving from family and friends. Sometimes it's hard to accept the help because pride gets in the way a little bit, but we are realizing that if we were in your shoes and you were in ours we would want to help too and would expect you to let us, so that is what we are trying to do. :) Can't thank you enough.
One of our pastors, Pastor Chris, came to visit me today. She brought a goodie bag from the Care Ministry at church, so I have some reading material, a book for Cayden, and a book of games. We laughed, cried, and of course prayed. It was very nice to have her here for a visit.
So, my status. No new bleeding today. I received my second and last shot of steroids today for lung development. I got to actually get up and take a shower this morning which was an awesome luxury. I have met a nurse named Theresa who is awesome. She's my night nurse tonight and she and I have been visiting a ton. She looked through all of the pictures on the Photography site. She's pregnant with her third child. We laughed a lot and even cried a little bit. I think she just might be a new friend! She also lives close to Maple Grove which is great!! Kinda fun.
I visited with the Dr for quite a while today. Here is what I took from our conversation:
I am considered a high risk pregnancy both in terms of my pregnancy itself and also the delivery. For a number of reasons. The first is the placenta previa, the second is I have had a c-section already, and the third is the rupture that they discovered on the ultrasound where my placenta tore from the uterine wall a little bit and caused the bleeding. So let me expand.
The placenta previa will continue to be an issue and is the reason for why I'm here today because as the baby grows, as I gain more amniotic fluid on board, etc the more weight that will be on the placenta. High risk for more bleeding. She said I can pretty much bank on bed restfor the duration because they want the weight off of the placenta. The bottom line is they want the baby in there for atleast 35 weeks if possible. (I am only 24 right now...ouch)
In terms of delivery. She said I will most likely have my c-section at a different hospital (Abbott Northewestern) where the team of OB's who specialize in high risk pregnancies do deliveries (I think it's called the Peri-Natal unit). Abbott is connected to Children's Hospital, so if there are any problems for the baby, they're right there. My c-section will be complicated because of the previa. And an added complication is the scar tissue that's in there from my previous c-section with Cayden because sometimes the placenta will have grown in to the scar tissue. If that has happened it will cause too much bleeding to pull it off and they would have to do a histarectomy in that case (doesn't always happen, but she's making me aware of my circumstances).
So, kind of a crazy turn, and it poses lots of challenges and even some pitfalls, but like I said up above there's no doubt in my mind that we can't pursue through this. Our concern collectively right now is Cayden. We want what is going to be best for him. We want to try to providea little bit of consistancy in what has turned in to be a little bit of a crazy life for him right now (Mom's gone, his house in torn up, and Dad is frazzled trying to balance Cayden, the house stuff, work, and coming to see Mom in the hospital). We are plotting on what arrangements we will make for him. My favorite idea at the moment would be daycare (which is tough to fathom for a stay at home Mom). His cousin Dalton goes to a fabulous daycare that is right by Chris' office, and there he would get consistency, a routine of going each day, a nice facility, and he would probably learn some important things etc, so we are going to look in to seeing if that would even be possible on a short term basis and what it would cost. I'm sure it won't be cheap!!
So, that's what has happened in our life today. I think I'm going to try to get some sleep. Love to you all.
Jan
4 Comments:
At 12:06 AM,
Anonymous said…
I love you.
At 5:29 PM,
Anonymous said…
Hey Jan,
Thanks so much for the updates. You and Chris are such strong people and have great faith, I know that will carry you through! I let Chris know and I'm letting you know that we are here for you, just let us know how we can help or what you need.
As hard as the daycare thing may be for you, I can see Cayden having a great time, not only would he be able to ride with dad to work, he'll be at a place with his friend.
We continue keep you in our thoughts and prayers. I'm glad Pastor Chris came to see you, she's wonderful, she was there for our family when Randy went through the brain surgery...the power of prayer is AWESOME! We have a wonderful church family!
Take care hun and stay strong!
Justine
At 8:09 PM,
Anonymous said…
Vokal Gang,
Thinking of you all and wanting you to know we are here for if you need anything! I'm off on Mondays and Fridays so if we can help with daycare duty, we would be more than happy to! Keep your chins up and know that you're all in our thoughts and prayers. You'll get through this!
The Empsons
At 9:29 PM,
Anonymous said…
Hi! I love you and wanted you to know that we are thinking about you and praying for you and your unborn baby!!! You are such a strong, solid, and loving family that I know you will make it through all these rough times. I wish I was there to give you each a big squeeze! Miss you so much!
Love,
Marcy, Brian, Brice, and Brody Martin :)
Post a Comment
<< Home